Study the Catechism with Mnemosyne
Mnemosyne (“nih-MA-suh-nee”) is a free flash card computer program that can help you and your kids study the catechism.Once you download Mnemosyne and the catechism data file (see instructions below), you’ll be able to quiz yourself. Mnemosyne will prompt you with a catechism question; after you recite the answer, you can click a button to see the answer. Then you grade yourself on how well you did, so Mnemosyne knows when you need to keep repeating certain questions and when you’re ready to move on.
- Download the catechism data file heidelberg-catechism.mem.
- Download Mnemosyne (available for Windows, Mac, and Linux; link opens in a new window or tab).
- Install Mnemosyne.
- Launch Mnemosyne. You’ll be presented with a “Getting Started” tutorial, which you can click through or just close.
- Open the data file. Click File > Open… and then select the catechism data file you just downloaded (heidelberg-catechism.mem).
- If more than one person will be using Mnemosyne on the same computer, click File > Save As… to create a data file just for you.
- You might also want to turn off the toolbar at the top of the window since you won’t need it. Click Settings > Show Toolbar to hide the toolbar icons.